Tuesday 4 October 2016

Happy Birthday Sausage :D


A fun extendable Birthday card today using this gorgeous Dachshund stamp from Woodware!! This stamp is enormous (I only just had an acrylic block big enough to fit it!!), and I've made it even longer lol :D I thought I would make this card make even more of a feature of the length of a Dachshund, so I decided to make an extendable card :D

I started by taking an A3 (that's an English size, double A4 size :D) and I cut a strip along the length that was roughly 5 inches... I then used my Hougie Board to score the card shape, this is how I worked out where to score... The die I used is 5 and a 1/4 inches by 4 inches, so I knew I needed a section to measure that, then I looked at the stamp and decided how much of the dog I wanted on either side of the card opening, I decided on 2 inches and 3 and a 1/4 inches for the two sides, so then the next bit is really simple... score your card at 2 inches, then 4 inches (that's the first 2 inches, plus 2 inches again), then score at 9 and a 1/4 inches, then at 12 and a 1/2 inches, then finally cut the card at 15 and 3/4 inches. So every time you're making a new score line you're adding on your next measurement, and for the measurements you want 2" + 2" + 5.25" + 3.25" + 3.25" = 15.75" which is 15 and 3/4 inches :D Then I also wanted the stitched detail, so I placed the die over the top of my folded card blank and ran this through my Cuttlebug, this is at this point cutting through 900gsm as I used 300gsm card, so it will only cut the top panel, but because of the pressure it will mark the lower layers so you can easily use a pair of scissors to cut the rest :D

I then proceeded to stamp the dog stamp, I laid my card blank flat, and taped where needed to give a level surface, then I started by stamping the head of the dog, and part of the body... I then flipped the card around and stamped the bottom and part of the body, then for the centre section, you could just draw it in and add the same kinds of patterns to the jumper, or you can just keep partly stamping the body a couple more times to fill in the space like I did... Mine did go a little bit wonky, but this is a funny card so I don't think it matters, and you can just fix any parts with a black pen anyway :D Finally add your sentiments and then colour :D I used Promarkers as usual :D Hope you liked the card :D :D :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



A couple more photos below :D



I'm entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Anything Goes Challenge :D