Monday 24 October 2016

Autumn Leaf Trio :D


A seasonal trio of Autumnal cards featuring the Leaves dies from the Woodland Collection by Spellbinders :D These cards didn't go exactly as planned, but I think they look better than my original idea :D Originally I was thinking they would turn out as a lovely clean and simple card with three crisp letter pressed leaves, but the Distress Inks didn't give that effect lol, so I kept adding more water and more colour until I was happy with a messier look :D I used Carved Pumpkin, Aged Mahogany, Pine Needles and Ground Espresso Distress Inks, and I also added in a sprinkling and splatting of Rich Gold Pixie Powder by Cosmic Shimmer (I only have the Gold and Silver versions of these, but they are fantastic!! they give so much gorgeous mica shimmer to your projects :D). While the 'watercolour' was still wet, I did also add in a sprinkling of salt to try and get some texture, but when you're only working on regular white card, this doesn't always work that well, so it wasn't really worth doing lol :D

Once all three cards had tried (and I let them air dry as I wanted them to have a natural feel, also it was quite interesting to see, because a lot of the mica had migrated to the edges giving a hard yellowy outside line, and I really like the look of this, I'll probably never be able to re-create it though lol that's always the way :D). Because my letter-pressing idea hadn't worked as planed, I decided I wanted the leaves to be gold, I could have done this by running the dies through again with perfect medium on so I could use gold embossing powder or even mica powder, however from past experience trying to line something back up, or use embossing powder over a watercoloured background, I'm always dissapointed with the end result, so I went for painstakingly colouring all the little areas in with my Gold Metallic Spectrum Noir Sparkle pen... I then wanted the leaves to have more definition and a whimsical feel, so I added a doodly outline, and I did this in a brown pen to go with the autumnal feel of the card. The final finishing touch was then a sentiment using my ancient old DYMO labeller, and I was dying to add the sentiment 'time to turn over a new leaf' but I didn't think I'd need three cards with that sentiment, so I made one a Thank You and one a Happy Birthday :D Hope you liked the cards :D :D :D

To see the process behind this trio of cards, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



Loads more photos below :D










I'm entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Autumn Challenge :D