Friday, 2 September 2016

Messy Mica Flowers :D


A combination of stamping, masking, painting with mica powders and an iron-off resist :D I was initially only going to make 2 cards, however I couldn't waste some of the ink I was using so I ended up with three :D I started off by stamping the flower stamp in black ink (I ended up trying to over-stamp and emboss this later, hence the double image on the blue card lol) This was a stamp set a friend of a friend had lent my mum and I, it's called 'You've Got This' and its by Stampin Up :D

I decided that I wanted to do a messy background using the background stamp in the set, Distress Inks (Seedless Preserves and Mermaid Lagoon) and Water, so I used Pebeo masking fluid to protect my flower images, I also added some splats of masking fluid so that there would be some white speckles in the background at the end :D I then stamped over the top with Distress Ink and also stamped the excess of both colours off on a third card (where I had previously embossed the flower with clear embossing powder :D) I taped all three down with little pieces of tape top and bottom, and then sprayed them with lots of water... I also added in some mica powders and a bit of brusho (Turquoise and Purple) to the wet ink too :D I let this dry, then I stamped the background image over the top again to give back a little bit of the definition which I had obliterated when spraying it heaviliy with water! Again I left it to dry, and then I wiped off any excess colour from on top of the liquid mask, and then I rubbed it away to reveal my protected flower :D

For the stems and leaves, I mixed Peeled Paint Distress Stain with some green mica powder to create my own mica paint... then for the yellow flower I mixed Wild Honey Ditress Stain with a yellow mica powder and combined this with an orange Cosmic Shimmer watercolour paint, moving on to just using an orange and a pink Cosmic Shimmer watercolour paint for the ornage flower :D ( I was going for complimetary colours with the background and flower :D) I then added my sentiments stamped in black ink with clear embossing over the top... I then felt like the black outline images of the flower were getting a bit lost due to the mica shimmer, so I attempted over-stamping with black and clear embossing, however this stamp is rubber, so allignment is difficult, even with a stamp-a-ma-jig and as you can see I messed it up slightly on the blue card, but it could have been worse :D (I was only using smooth white card, and as this can't handle much water, for my third, use up stuff card, the colour had seeped into the paper and under the clear embossing, so I tried improving the card by ironing off the embossing once I'd coloured the flower, however it didn't work how I wanted, but it did give a cool effect :D) I then finished the cards off with a mixture of Cosmic Shimmer PVA glue pearls, I used Black Pearl, Cosmic Pearl, Teal Sky and Rich Plum :D Hope you like the cards :D

To see the process behind these cards, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



More photos of all three cards below :D









I'm entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday blog Challenge :D
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/simon-says-anything-goes-30/

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful combination of elements and colors, Christine! Flower cards always make me smile! Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete