Friday 26 August 2016

Woodland Winter Birthday :D


A bright and vibrant birthday shaker card made using the Woodland Winter stamp and embossing folder set from Issue 137 of Papercraft Essentials :D It just goes to show that nothing is ever as it seems lol because here a birch tree has become a stripey pattern :D

When I started making this card, my initial thoughts were, I want to make a shaker card, and I want to use the birch tree as a stripey pattern :D   and this is what I created :D First of all I roughly planned out what my idea was by laying the dies and stamps onto my piece of card, I then went on to die cut out my aperture using a stitched circle die :D Next step was to create my stripey pattern, I used my MISTI tool so that I could get crisp and solid impressions really easily, and I used Hero Arts Ink cubes for my stamping, Lime Green, Tide Pool, Soft Pool and Charcoal for the wreath, branches and sentiment :D Now it was time to create my shaker backer, I originally stamped this in black, however I re-stamped it as I felt the black was too harsh, so I went with the Charcoal instead :D I also decided that the card needed to be balanced with a bit more of the Charcoal colour, so I added some branches over the top of the stripey pattern (this wasn't in my original idea in my head, but I think it works well as it also allowed me to add some gems as berries outside the shaker too :D)

I used some light blue cardstock to cut a narrow frame for the inside of my aperture, I used a plain edged circle this time as this was closer in size to the stitched circle I'd used previously so it gave a nice narrow frame to pull in the light blue colour :D I used a few green Promarkers to colour in the leaves on the wreath, and I decided to add some turquoise gems to the berries within the wreath too :D (just make sure the glue on these is dry before you assemble your shaker :D) I then added a piece of acetate over the aperture and I also added a double thickness of foam to the perimeter of the shaker... for the shaker elements I used large glass micro beads from Creative Expressions, tiny turquoise micro beads, flower shaped sequins and some chunky glitter too (Top Tip: when using glitter in a shaker card, make sure to add plenty of anti-static powder to the inside of the acetate otherwise you end up with a window covered in glitter!)... I ended up embellishing the branches on the front of the card by stamping and colouring some of the leaves from the stamp set and sticking them randomly on the branches with a scattering of the flower sequins and some gems as berries too :D The finishing touch was then a little bit of Spectrum Noir clear sparkle, and a little dab of glitter glue in the centre of the flower sequins :D Hope you like the card :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



A few close up photos to follow below :D