Saturday, 13 August 2016

A Little Humming-Birdie Told Me :D


This was the sneak peek card from yesterdays video, I also made this one using the Hummingbird Designer Collection embossing folder and stamp set from issue 153 of Simply Cards and Papercraft :D Watch out for another video soon where I had a rather unexpected idea for the Hummingbird's tail feathers :D :D

Originally I was going to leave this card in the 'another year flies by' cards video, hence the sneak peek, however I felt that their styles weren't similar enough, so I split them into two separate videos :D I didn't originally plan to watercolour this card either, so its actually just stamped on some smooth white card, but it works just as well as if I'd used watercolour card :D I created my composition of stamps doing a little bit of masking for the flower cluster at the top, and then decided to use my watercolours.... I ended up using my Windsor and Newton Cotman set, as I really wanted to use Dioxine Violet (my favourite) on the Hummingbird :D I also added in a little bit of dark blue Cosmic Shimmer watercolour paint too, a little on the bird and some on the stamen of the flowers, as well as a few splatters in the background... In my head a scene with a Hummingbird hovering by some flowers needs a bokeh background, so to attempt a rough easy version of this I first started with a couple of overall washes of blue in the background using a wider brush, and then I added some splatters (I added some while the initial wash was wet, and some more after it had dried!) and also later on towards the end of the video I added in some circles in two shades of blue Promarker (Powder Blue and Sky Blue I think) and also some white :D

I'm not entirely sure what colour a Hummingbird should be, but mine ended up with a mixture of blue, purple, pink and green :D I also attempted adding a bit of 'visual texture' to the background too, I used Soft Pool Hero Arts ink and the 'it's your birthday' sentiment from the stamp set and I stamped this a few times behind the bird (I made a mask for the bird before I did this too) it's very subtle, but you can just about see it in the photos :D The final finishing touches was a little bit of Spectrum Noir Sparkle (I actually applied it with a normal paint brush instead of its brush to give a more subtle effect) and a scattering of sequins (if you look back through my cards, you'll notice that I like to use 2 big sequins and 3 small sequins, not sure why this is, but I just realized that's what I always go for :D) Hope you like the card!! :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



Here's a few more photos showing some of the subtle details :D Please do leave any questions in the comments :D




I'm entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge :D
http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/simon-says-lets-go-wild/

2 comments:

  1. Truly gorgeous! Love the artistic feel of this watercolor design! The colors, composition and balance are so pleasing to the eyes! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Let’s Go Wild” Challenge! Awesome details and design! Super work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia! Thanks so much for your extremely lovely comment!! :D :D :D Christine xxx

      Delete