Saturday, 20 August 2016

Gelli Print Happy Birthday :D


This was an experiment card using acrylic paints on my Gelli plate trying to pull all the layers off together, I also made my own masks by cutting dies from printer paper :D Does anyone else see alphabetti spaghetti when they look at this? lol :D SO this was the FIRST time I'd used Acrylics on my Gelli plate, and only the 3rd time I'd ever used a Gelli plate too :D

I started off trying to create a vignette effect using Lush Pink Artiste acrylic paint, I brayered on a thin layer and tried to wipe the paint from the centre section (also FYI in my head I know this is going to be an A6 card, so I know roughly how far out to roll the paint :D) I then let this layer of paint dry on the plate (Next time I try this method, I think I'll leave more of this layer, as you can't really see the pink very much!).. next layer I used Pumpkin Artiste acrylic paint, I applied a thicker layer this time (I actually put on too much lol, so I rolled some off on some scrap paper :D) and then I used some printer paper masks (made from die cutting the Sizzix Intricate Tribal Florals dies by Craft Asylum) I had this idea when I was falling asleep the night before, I've seen Barbara Gray do a similar effect using a proper stencil where she leaves the stencil on while the outside paint dries, and then she blots off the still wet paint underneath when she removes the stencil... however, I though with this idea, 1. I won't get a stencil dirty with acrylics, 2. I can use any dies I own to do this technique, and 3. I can miss a step out as printer paper is quite porous so will soak up the paint from the plate leaving the positive impressions of my flowers :D :D :D When I had all the leaves and flowers positioned on the wet paint I also used some punchanella and some scrap paper to add some texture to the background portion :D

So once the orange layer was dry and I had removed the printer paper masks, I then added a layer of Buttercup Artiste acrylic paint, and this time I did use a proper stencil too (it's a Dylusions one from a few years ago, I think its called bubbles and its the larger version) I placed the stencil over the wet yellow paint, then blotted some out with some scrap paper, this pattern isn't super evident, but it gives some more subtle texture :D Finally to pull the layered print from the plate, I used Blanc Artiste acrylic paint (I really like the Artiste acrylics because they have a matt finish, and I'm not very keen on the super shiney effect from most acrylics, so these suit me perfectly :D) the idea of this layer is to re-wet the layers beneath it and enable you to pull your multi-layered print from your plate (it also cleans the plate quite well too :D)... The final touch was then the sentiment cut from white card and covered with Spectrum Noir clear glitter pen, the happy die is from Heidi Swapp and the 'birthday' was cut using the upper and lower case alphabet dies from Apple Blossom :D :D :D Hope you like the card, I will deffinetly be trying this kind of thing again its so satisfying to pull off your final image in one go and it makes for an easy card too, just add a sentiment :D :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel, CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



 A couple more photos below :D



No comments:

Post a Comment