Wednesday 10 August 2016

Wheelie Great Birthday :D


I created this card using the bike die set from issue 152 of Simply Cards and Papercraft :D I used the dies to make my own stamps out of funky foam which I used to create an embossed resist background :D I also have a neat trick involving a pastry brush too :D

For this card, I was aiming for a more masculine birthday card, but I also wanted a punny sentiment too :D I used the bike and wheel dies to cut out some funky foam, and then I used these as custom stamps so that I could heat emboss the bikes, I stamped the bike frame first to get the rough placement right, and then did the wheels afterwards :D So I was walking around IKEA a little while back, in the kitchen section, and I saw this silicone pastry brush, I think it was 60p, and what popped into my head "I could use that to create some cool effects with ink or paint!!" so therefore I bought said pastry brush, and here was my first attempt at using it, and I think it works really well! I'll deffinetly be using it again :D anyway, back to the card... I then swiped the pastry brush into my Perfect Medium ink pad and used it to create some texture around the edges, which I also embossed with clear embossing powder :D

I then used Twisted Citron, Mermaid Lagoon and Blueprint Sketch Distress Inks to ink blend over the background making the bike images pop out :D I also used the pastry brush with the inks to add some extra cross hatching texture in the background too... and I flicked some water over the background too with a paintbrush and dabbed it up after a few seconds to give a more distressed effect :D For the sentiment, I used the Apple Blossom alphabet dies in upper and lower case again to spell the word Wheelie, and then for the rest, I used a Lawn Fawn stamp set (I think it's called Year Five) and it has the sentiment 'Have an Otterly great Birthday' so I masked parts of the stamp to give 'have a' and 'great birthday' thereby replacing Otterly with Wheelie :D For this part of the sentiment, I used some blue vellum and some white Cosmic Shimmer detail embossing powder :D Hope you like the card :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



Here's a couple more photos :D And don't forget if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below :D