Saturday 9 July 2016

Where Flowers Bloom :D




A simple card using a die to emboss a focal panel :D I used the Floral Bloom free gift which came with Issue 133 of Papercraft Essentials for this card, I really love the way you have the outline and the solid section, its kinda like a layering set, and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to use the rock and roll inking technique for the solid coloured section of the flowers and leaves :D I started off by cutting a panel with my usual favourite, the large stitched die from MFT blueprints 13 die set, and then I used an MFT stitched square stax die to emboss a focal panel :D I used my Cuttlebug to do this, and for cutting the main panel I used the usual sandwich of A, B and C, but for the embossing of the die, I used A, B, then 3 sheets of printer paper folded in half to A5, then the junior size Spellbinders tan mat, then my card front, then the stitched square die cutting side face down (without any tape otherwise you would see this indented into the card as well) and then finally another B plate... (please have a watch of my video below in case this explanation is unclear :D)

Next step was all the stamping, you don't really need to, but I decided to use my MISTI (I had only just gotten it when making this card, so couldn't resist using it :D) I started by stamping the sentiment in the embossed square, and then I used a fully sticky post-it to mask off the area. I then stamped the outlines of the flowers and the leaves, then chose my colours for the solid parts :D I used all Hero Arts ink cubes, Green Hills and Field Greens for the leaves, Butter Bar and Soft Cantaloupe for the yellow version and Cornflower and Pool for the blue version. I used the rock and roll inking technique for the solid sections, this is where you ink up the whole image in your lighter colour, then you rock the stamp (I chose to do one side of the leaves, and around the perimeter of the flowers) in the darker colour of ink :D (TOP TIP: I used pigment for the black outlines, and when  I stamped over the top with a colour, it picked up a little of the black ink, so between re-inking your solid stamps make sure you stamp off on some scrap paper so the black doesn't transfer to your coloured ink pads :D). I then used a few Promarkers to colour the flowers within the sentiment, I used Forest and Pine for the leaves, Canary and Gold for the yellow version and China blue and Midnight for the blue version :D

The final finishing touches to the card were then the addition of a few sequins (some ended up being strategically placed because I had a few little marks of ink in places lol :D), the addition of some Spectrum Noir Clear Overlay Sparkle pen :D and also a 3mm black pearl from Creative Expression, just to finish the centre of the flower in the sentiment :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below :D



I was lucky enough to get my card (the blue version) in the Readers Gallery (Page 79) of Issue 135 of Papercraft Essentials :D So happy!!! :D I took a photo of the page below :D


A few more photos of both the cards to follow...