Saturday, 23 July 2016

Rose Shaker Card :D


A simple shaker card I made using the Altenew rose stamp and die set from issue 149 of Simply Cards and Papercraft :D I love Altenew stamps, and as soon as I saw you got the stamps and matching dies, I just had to get this magazine :D I love combining dies to make a unique shaped aperture, and I think the rose worked really well for this technique :D This card went through a few changes over the course of a couple of days (you can see part of this in the video below...) but I really like the finished card, I actually made two and I sent one of them to Simply Cards and Papercraft :D

The first step was to do most of the die cutting, I cut my usual favourite (the MFT large stitched rectangle from Blueprints 13) background panel and a stitched square (also MFT) from white card, then I lined up the rose die in the centre and cut this, next I decided on the placement of my 3 leaves and cut them one at a time (it doesn't matter that they're overlapping as when I add in the leaves later I can just tuck them behind the front leaf and the flower too :D)... Next step was to stamp the flowers and leaves, I chose my three colours (Pink: Memento Angel Pink and then Hero Arts Bubble Gum and Ultra Pink) (Green: two pigment inks from Hobbycraft and Green Hills from Hero Arts) and then decided to use my MISTI so I could darken the colours by re-stamping exactly over the previous image :D Top Tip: Keep the packaging and use it each time you line up a layer of the rose or leaves, the layers don't have to be stamped exactly as intended, but having the guide really helps :D I now needed to die-cut the flowers and leaves, they're really easy to line up, however (as you can see in the video below) I kept miss-aligning the leaves lol so to fix this I just used a co-coordinating colour Promarker to add a bit of colour to the side with too much white :D

I then decided what I wanted to layer behind the main square shaker panel, and I ended up choosing some pink patterned papers, so I used the next size up of the MFT stitched square stax :D It was a little bit fiddly getting the die-cuts lined up in the aperture however I found that if you taped (with low tack tape) the white square in the centre of the patterned paper, you could then attach the flower and leaves through the opening in the correct place :D Once I'd done this I then felt like the background panel was a little plain, so I used some punchanella and some Spun Sugar distress ink and lightly blended on a few patches of spots... I still wanted more in the background so I also used a lattice embossing folder from Darice to give some raised detail :D Now for the shaker part, I added a piece of acetate to the back of the die cut opening, and then added some 3D foam tape. For the shaker elements I used some iridescent heart sequins, some 5mm iridescent cup sequins and some large glass micro beads from Creative Expressions :D I made this shaker the other way up to normal, so I added the shaker bits on top of the rose and added the raised aperture above, this was so I could line the white square up in the middle of the patterned paper :D Originally I added a black Thank You sentiment, but in the final photos (as shown above) you can see that I changed it to pink, and I also added some green hearts too, these changes made me like the card much more :D Hope you like it too :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch the YouTube video below, or over on my channel :D



 Here's some close up photos :D



The card I sent to Simply Cards and Papercraft ended up in Papercraft Essentials!! It's soo funny because I'd just edited this video ready to post, and my subscription of Papercraft Essentials arrived this morning and there it was on page 8 :D What a strange coincidence :D Soooo happy :D


No comments:

Post a Comment